Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Family...

So I just got off the phone with a reporter from the local newspaper.  She is covering the Thanksgiving service project that my church is doing this year and has been doing for the last 15 years.  I've had the wonderful opportunity to be a part of this for almost 3 years now.  In fact, this will be my third year working with over 100 volunteers to serve the greater Indianapolis community on Thanksgiving Day.

The conversation with the report went well I thought.  I was asked questions about how long we've been doing this, who helps out, why we are doing this, etc.  Then she asked me a question that no one has ever asked me about this project.  She asked me how I felt about it and what it was like to be away from my family that day to serve these people.  I paused and gave it some thought.

I was reminded of Acts 2:42-47...

42 They devoted themselves to the apostles’ teaching and to fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer. 43 Everyone was filled with awe at the many wonders and signs performed by the apostles. 44 All the believers were together and had everything in common. 45 They sold property and possessions to give to anyone who had need. 46 Every day they continued to meet together in the temple courts. They broke bread in their homes and ate together with glad and sincere hearts, 47 praising God and enjoying the favor of all the people. And the Lord added to their number daily those who were being saved.

It's incredible to be surrounded by people who are willing to give of their possessions so that others may have.  Giving of their time by volunteering, there talents by serving and cooking, bringing donations to the table; food and financial.  Being a part of this Thanksgiving project reminds me of the first century church. 

But that question the reporter asked me still echoed through my mind.  How did I feel about this?  It's not every day that I get to sit with my family from Indianapolis.  However, on this day, the people that I eat with, share stories with, and laugh with are my family.  It doesn't matter whether they are black, white, hispanic, male, female, young, old, poor, or rich...they are my family.

My immediate family has always understood that being called to ministry means making sacrifices.  Sometimes we sacrifice time with those we know as family to be with those we don't know...who are still our family.  This Thanksgiving I would challenge each of us to reach out to our neighbors, those around us, and share a "thanks" and a "giving" with them. 

My prayer is that you will look deep into your heart and ask God what you can do to give thanks to Him by giving today.  Be like those first Christians by breaking bread with others and giving of what is already His. 

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment