Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Saturday's with Mom...

I remember when I was growing up that my Mom and I would spend our Saturday's together.  Dad was usually out cutting grass or fixing something, so this gave us time to hang.  One of my Mom's Saturday rituals, one still practiced today, was to go to McDonald's for a Diet Coke.  I always remember going there with her on Saturday's and we would share a Coke in the car. 

There was something really special about those Saturday mornings.  I think it was just the fact that I was with Mom that made me content.  I didn't need anything to make me happy in that moment, I just needed to be with Mom.  Eventually, though, if we were out too long I would get restless and hide in the clothing racks of the local department store or I would run up and down the aisles of the grocery store.

Psalms 131 says, "Jehovah, my heart is not haughty, nor mine eyes lofty; Neither do I exercise myself in great matters, or in things too wonderful for me.  Surely I have stilled and quieted my soul; Like a weaned child with his mother, Like a weaned child is my soul within me.  O Israel, hope in Jehovah from this time forth and for evermore."

Being content with where God has us is so key and important to our relationship with Him.  It's like being happy just being with Mom on Saturday mornings.  I don't need her to buy me anything to be happy.  I just need to be with her.

Are you happy just being with God?  Or, are you caught up with all the things around you that you've forgotten to take time just to be with Him?

God,
Help us take the time today to just be with you.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment